This week we got hit with a DDoS against the shared hosting server's IP address. As a result of this the machine is now accessible at 126.96.36.199 and the machine has been allocated several more addresses in our block. The .247 address remains blackholed as of this update. With this experience of seeing how our upstream handles sustained DDoS interruptions I am recommending shared hosting customers not already using our DNS servers to do so to speed recovery in the future. While this strategy can help with recovery from certain types of DDoS attack, this incident highlights the clock ticking on the growth we need to achieve. Specifically, the need to grow so that we can support multiple upstream connections and taking over the control of routing on our IP space.
There is no small irony in last week's major regional power grid failure having no observable impact on our uptime while packet weather generated a bona fide crisis. Millions of bipeds woke up last Sunday with only the sun for lighting and the internet cared not one iota. At the same time one can't prevent the DDoS scourge through buying more bandwidth anymore than one can fight a Mississippi River flood by taking more showers and drinking more water. That being said, we have to go to war with the internet we have, not the internet that we might wish to have.
Ongoing Things To Be Done:
- Get Big
- Explore the Cuntoo World - Tagged To Manager, Recommended to All
- Get The Datacenter paid - Tagged To Manager, ongoing monthly
- Mechanized Conversion Engine - Tagged To Technical Director
- Target selection and Payload A/B testing for Conversion Engine - Tagged To Manager
- Spec Second RockChip Plant - Tagged To Technical Director
- Determine next resupply cargo - Tagged To Manager, Technical Director, Forum
- Complete Rewrite of Website Copy - Tagged To Manager, Ongoing
- Social Engineering of Uninitiated Forum Operators with aim of Marketing takeover - Tagged To Manager, Ongoing
- Continue improving corporate communication and transparency - Tagged To Manager
- Add more open threads to this list - Tagged To Manager
- Implement our own routing, this is a prerequisite to capturing a larger portion of IPv4 space
- Complete Dominance of the market for hosted computing